I am so excited to be hosting my very first 7 Day FREE adventure into attacking our ABS through daily exercise and nutrition. (BTW comment for info on how to join!)
We’re going to rip through this week with quality workouts plus a delicious meal plan that will leave everyone’s mouths watering and their bodies craving more!
So with that, I want to quickly outline what recipes we’ll be using for our dinner menus so everyone has all the info in a one-stop-shop!
BARBECUE SPAGHETTI SQUASH SLIDERS (credit to Radiate Food Vibes)
1 large spaghetti squash
sea salt, fine grain
1 large yellow or white onion
1.5 cups BBQ Sauce (see below for healthy 5 minute sauce!)
4-6 whole wheat english muffins (6 sliders or 4 standard, organic preferred)
THE SAUCE (blend and heat! that’s it!)
1 cup 100% apple juice
1/4 cup tomato paste (about half of a 6-oz can)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon sea salt, fine grain
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more to taste (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
Cut spaghetti squash in half, length-wise. Rub each cut side with a teaspoon of oil and a big pinch of salt. Place face down on lined baking sheet. Set aside.
Slice onions into rings, about 1/2″ think. Remove outer ring (the papery layer). Keep rings grouped together in discs. Brush each disc with oil and season with a small pinch of salt. Place on baking sheet with squash. Bake for 40-50 minutes until squash is super tender and onions are soft. Flip onions half way through cooking and remove before squash if browning too much. When squash is finished, allow to col until able to handle. They’ll cool faster if you can safely manage to flip the squash so that the cut side faces up.
When squash is cool, use a fork to remove the flesh of the squash. The “spaghetti strands” should form very easily while scraping. Remove excess moisture from squash strands by squeezing in a clean towel or allowing to rest in a colander.
For each cup of spaghetti squash, add 2 tbsp bbq sauce, mix well. Divide squash between muffins and top with a few separated onion rings. Serve with extra sauce for topping. FYI, my squash yielded 2 hefty cups of squash, once excess water was removed.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium head (about 2 pounds) green cabbage
- 1 pound ground turkey burger
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- salt to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Italian Seasoning to taste
- Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey burger, tomatoes, seasonings and cook until no pink shows in the turkey. Add cooked rice and mix well. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Using a small, sharp knife, cut in a circle all around the stem of the cabbage and remove the core. Place the cabbage in the boiling water. After about 2 minutes an outside leaf will come loose–pull it off and out of the water using tongs. After another minute the next leaf will come loose. Remove and repeat until you have 8 to 10 leaves. Pat the leaves dry with paper towels. Cut out the thick part of the rib from the bottom of each leaf, but don’t cut more than a third of the way into the leaf.
With the stem side of the cabbage leaf facing you, place a scant amount of the turkey mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold the bottom edge over the mixture and then fold the sides over and roll into a tidy packet. Place the cabbage rolls, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish.
- Once a 13×9 in dish is full you can sprinkle diced tomatoes over top. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.
TURKEY CHILI (credit to thisFIThouse)
1 pound ground turkey
1 yellow onion, chopped
2.5 tablespoons chili powder (3 tablespoons if you want it spicier)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes (not drained)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a medium sized pan, cook the turkey and chopped onion until fully cooked.
- In your slow cooker, poor in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add in the turkey and onion and stir the ingredients together just a bit.
- Set the slow cooker to low and the timer to 3 hours!
TURKEY MEATLOAF (credit goes to Simply Recipes)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 small zucchini (10 ounces), grated to make about 2 cups
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated to make about 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons grated onion, optional
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1. Make the meatloaf mixture. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, egg, salt, pepper, zucchini, carrot, parsley, lemon zest and juice, and mustard. Mix until fully blended.
Add the ground turkey. Mix well, using your hands. Try not to overwork the meat.
3 Shape the meatloaf: Form the meatloaf mixture into a rough football shape and transfer to the baking dish or a glass bread baking dish. Pat smooth. (Alternatively, transfer to a loaf pan to bake.)
4 Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour (or wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bag and freeze to bake later). The loaf should register 165F in the middle with an instant-read thermometer when done; continue baking if needed. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Leftovers will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days and can be eaten cold or gently reheated.
LEMON THYME ROASTED CHICKEN (credit goes to PopSugarFood)
- 2 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few sprigs fresh thyme (or dried if you don’t have fresh); reserve some for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle an oven-safe dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and place the chicken in the dish. Drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil on top, squeeze lemon juice all over, and sprinkle with the leaves of a few sprigs of thyme.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Pour the pan juices over the chicken and let rest for 10 minutes before serving and garnish with leaves of fresh thyme.
I hope you all love all of these recipes as they are staples in our house weekly!
Let me know what you think!!!